Monday, March 10, 2008

Every Convert Is Precious.



I am a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. As well as my brother Jake. My brother was converted January of 2008, and I April of 2004. I always had a feeling we would some how snag him! It amazes me how far he has come in life- it amazes me how well our lives have panned out.. Born and raised in Oregon, we grew up with two older brothers (James, and Jason). Our dad wasn't the best, and our mom wasn't the strongest to be able to leave him. Growing up was was a trial for us, we had to deal with the unimaginable..and it was a struggle, but we had some great neighbors. The Beers. I look back, and I think "What a funny name for an LDS family." Although back then, I had no idea...they were just my best friends, and always made me feel great. We loved going over there, Laurie always baked sweets, while we played games, and felt more at home there than anywhere else. Little did I know, that this family would have such a great impact on me- and my family. Life turned around for us when I was about five. My parents divorced, and eventually my mother remarried- to one of the most amazing men I know. And life was good. The Beer's moved away..to the other side of town...and our best friends weren't seen all that often. The years passed...and my brother was out of high school, and I was a Junior. I met a boy. And this boy was a member. I wanted to know what he knew..so I went to church with him. Never have I felt such warmth...such happiness...never have I felt so comfortable. My boyfriend at the time moved- back to Green River,Wyoming. I stayed in Oregon..continued to go to church..One day, I went to a different Ward...the Ward that I should have gone to according to where I lived(we moved a few years after the divorce-to the other side of town)..So I sat...and I looked around...and who did I see? The Beer's! I was nervous...Sure...my best friends from when I was younger did go to the same high school....and I saw them sometimes...you know how things go after the years...clicks organize...and so on.....After sacrament..I rushed up to them, and said hello. They were so surprised to see me there. They asked me who I was with, and told them I was by myself-and told them the rest of how it came to be that I was there that day. A month later...I decided to start having the discussions with the missionaries. My mom however....wasn't to keen on my actions...and wouldn't allow it. I told the Beer's of my issue...and they told me we could have the discussions at their house. There house was literally across a field from my parents property. I was flabbergasted at the fact that they were so close to me all these last few years. So off I went every week, to meet at the Beer's and have my discussions with the missionaries. Little did I know of all the trouble this was about to start. First off with my mother. She always had negative words to say towards me every night I left the house to go to the Beer's. My brother Jake...couldn't understand my feelings either- he had, had a bad experience with a past girlfriend who's family were members of the church-although they really had no concept of the word of wisdom-everything they did and said just confused my brother. So everything he gathered from his experience-was what he thought I was getting myself into. My friends at school began to despise me, and a few became greatly concerned for my well being-cause after all-they were taught that being LDS meant you were in a cult. So I had loved ones from every hemisphere in my life-going against me. Except my step dad :O) After months of investigating...I converted...it was awesome. But when I got home...apparently there was a new rule in the house- No Mormon's allowed..My mom had kicked me out of the house-because I was now LDS....and I wasn't even 18. Where was I to go??? It didn't last long...my dad talked some sense into her...It took years for her to come to peace with it..and actually be happy. I guess you could say that I made it easier for my brother..He met an incredible woman at work..Tantine..She was LDS. And Jake and her fell in love...and Jake still had struggles, and trials to overcome...We all thought he was lost...But Tantine...has so much patients,and she helped my brother become who is today...Jake turned his life around,and he finally married Tantine in January of 2008- two weeks after he was baptized into the Mormon Faith. I'm so thankful to have had the influence of the Church around me basically my whole life...most of the time without me even knowing it. I piece my life together-and it all just makes sense...how everything fell into place..and it strengthens my testimony to know that this Church is true. I see how much it has just helped my brother alone- and influenced him to be a completely different person, as well as myself. And for that..I am grateful.








1 comment:

Ann said...

I too am a convert to the LDS Church. I joined when I was 17, in 1969 (shortly after the dinosaurs died!) Some things you wrote about are so familiar. Before my baptism, missionaries visited our home 3 times. My mom was all for me "going" to the LDS Church, but struggled with the idea of my being baptized. She eventually came around, but not before saying something that I am sure she thought would make me back out. It was the wisest advice she could give me. She said something like “You know this is a working Church. You’ll be asked to pray, give talks, etc. If you join, you’ll have to do it.” She knew I was shy and think she thought I would change my mind. I didn’t and I’ve never been sorry.

Mom was baptized later, but not before Satan tried his best to stop it all. I was raised in Indiana with a very southern influence. Shortly after baptism, I was helping get dinner on the table one day. I made Kool-Aid for my sister and myself and ice tea for the family. My mom, step-father, brother and sister and brother-in-law all started in on the not drinking ice tea crusade. I was accused of thinking myself better and on and on and on. I didn’t eat that night. Just couldn’t with all the contention. Opposition would come again when I wanted to go to Church instead of an all day drive. Etc., etc. Every time it was over something so stupid it doesn’t desire mentioning. Just crazy stuff.

I can tell you one thing: the Gospel of Jesus Christ has made me whole. I am far healthier than any of my siblings and have dealt far better than anyone else with the emotional baggage from things that were dysfunctional in the home I grew up in. I married a good man—a return missionary. We have 6 children and 4 grandkids. Our second son developed a Reyes Syndrome just prior to his 8th birthday and suffered severe brain and physical damage. Brent lived 14 years before cancer allowed him to return to his Heavenly Home. It was the Gospel that got me through those years. I had peace inside when all the world about me was in turmoil. Stay faithful to your covenants. Heavenly Father doesn’t promise to remove all the stones from our path. He only promises that the journey will be worth it.

Good luck to you!