Monday, April 26, 2010

Go Green!




In respect to our recent Earth Day Holiday, just thought I would share a tid bit of how we have changed some things in our house hold to conserve and save!


Save energy to save money.

Jamie sets our thermostat a few degrees lower in the winter and a few degrees higher in the summer to save on heating and cooling costs.


We have installed compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) .




I always try to unplug our appliances when we're not using them. Lately I have just tried to buy the "smart" power strip that senses when appliances are off and cuts "phantom" or "vampire" energy use.


I ALWAYS wash our clothes in cold water. As much as 85 percent of the energy used to machine-wash clothes goes to heating the water!


We also use a drying rack or clothesline to save the energy otherwise used during machine drying.

Save water to save money.


Now this has been a tough one for me...Seeing as I really, really, REALLY, like to soak in the bath, almost on a nightly basis...This I am trying to break!! Other than that, I try to conserve in other ways!


Shutting the water off when I am not using it while brushing my teeth, or washing my hands.

We try to plant drought-tolerant native plants in our garden. Many plants need minimal watering, so we try to find out which occur naturally in your area. And yes there is more than just sage brush! haha

Less gas = more money (and better health!).


I have been walking to work, I used to long board, but considering the whole pregnancy bit, hubby won't let me!! But this saves on gas while improving your cardiovascular health and reducing my risk of packing on those pounds!!! Me walking to work is an extra .6 miles a day, and 20 minutes worth extra of cardio! :O)

Eat smart.


I always try to buy locally raised, humane, and organic meat, eggs, and dairy whenever I can. SUPER HARD where I live, but it does happen!!! Especially in the summer! Phew! And purchasing from local farmers keeps money in the local economy.



Skip the bottled water.


We use a water filter to purify tap water instead of buying bottled water. Not only is bottled water expensive, but it generates large amounts of container waste.


I bring a reusable water bottle, I prefer aluminum rather than plastic, with me when traveling or at work.


Buy smart.


We try to buy in bulk. Purchasing food from bulk bins can save money and packaging.



I invest in high-quality, long-lasting products. I might pay more now, but I am always happy when I don't have to replace items as frequently (and this means less waste!).