Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Joys of Pregnancy!




I was asked the other day what my favorite things about being pregnant so far are, and what things I dislike the most about it. I have a nice long list of things that I do like!

- My husband gives me more back rubs and just does more of the housework in general. I'm a lucky lady.

- Feeling the baby growing inside of me makes me feel so alive and powerful and womanly!

- Feeling like I have a constant friend with me besides my Summit boy!

- My hair is growing like a weed, and the pregnancy glow I have!

- Luckily, I am one of those women who has not gotten sick or extremely tired or anything else in early pregnancy. (I'm sure it would be pretty hard to enjoy pregnancy when you're head is constantly in the toilet.. :o/)

- I love the round, feminine belly I am finally beginning to acquire!

- How much more in tune to my body I am!

- The excitement of my family and friends.

- I feel strong and proud...I know my body is doing something amazing !

- My hormone levels have made me feel extremely mellow, and chill. More down to earth.

- The excitement of finding out the gender of our baby, hearing the heart beat, and anticipating that first movement of him or her!

- Planning for everything once the baby gets here.

- Day dreaming of the days, of teaching my children to snowboard and ski. Taking them hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, four wheeling, paint balling, soccer/football/baseball/dance/gymnastics/piano/guitar practice!!

My list seriously goes on...

As for the things I dislike about pregnancy...

- When parents complain about BEING parents to newly pregnant women, (particularly to people who are well established, and well prepared for a baby.) saying "Oh boy sure hope you're ready! You're life is over!" - no sleep, tantrums, constant crying, gross diapers, no time to yourselves yadayada yada- anything that deals with whining and moaning about parenthood drives me nuts. I know that parenthood isn't easy, I have a younger sister, I received a nice healthy dose of taking care of her to get a pretty good idea of what Jamie and I have prepared ourselves for lol..Parenthood is a GIFT. Making a family, it is precious. Nothing better than family. People who complain the way they do about it, whether to attempt to "freak" somebody out (which is seriously annoying, and yet kind of amusing.) Or just vent..(well then maybe they themselves just weren't ready. Or have other issues?) need to just quit! And be positive, and say nice things...Geeze!

- All the horrible aspects of pregnancy..And how it seems every other woman I meet wants me to be having them!!? The heartburn, the morning sickness, the fatigue, the water retention, the mood swings.... I try to sympathize...to those who are genuine...but to those who are envious (sad but true)...lol seriously..I don't wanna hear about it.

- And Jamie and I's choice to try for a natural childbirth. This one really seems to open up a can of worms..It has been quite amusing to listen to people's take on this. Well more of an annoyance! I am a low-risk healthy woman, and not afraid of the amazing things that my body can do...therefore I do not opt to have someone else "get my baby out." Too many doctors are too willing to take that responsibility and accomplishment from women who don't medically need it. I want to experience the fullness of birthing, like my mother, and my grandmother have. It is one of the most powerful and empowering experiences a woman can have. It is the most natural and amazing of experiences, and all women's bodies are uniquely suited and PERFECTLY capable of it!

Birth does not have to be an ordeal of pain and misery. My mother and grandmother both said they found it quite serene and joyous. ( My mom birthed a 10lb baby naturally!) Sure it is one of the most physical, and emotional experiences they had...but our bodies produce hundreds of hormones and other chemicals to get our babies from our bellies to our arms. When you know exactly what is happening and what to expect you can focus on allowing your body to do what it needs, and already knows how to do.

Yes most women will say birth does hurt.. but perceptions and experiences can change that pain vastly when you understand that it has a benefit, and ends with a purpose fulfilled. I have been learning about tons of methods to go with the flow of and actively assist, rather than fight my bodies work.

Everything I need is already within me, there are said to be "no great secrets when it comes to natural childbirth. It is more about unlearning fears and worries than about learning methods and techniques."

Women have been birthing naturally for centuries. Birthing was simply something women just did. They breathed, grunted, groaned, and moved around according to whatever position their body wanted to take. My body already knows what to do and how to do it. The main thing to learn is to let my body guide me.

A few more reasons I prefer to try birthing naturally:


1. Mothers who labor naturally can move freely, go to the bathroom, walk and change positions throughout labor. According to the Cochrane Review, recent studies have shown that getting medication makes changing positions during birth impossible, even after birth more difficult.

( where I am giving birth, in my birthing room I have a whirlpool. I will be able to freely move to and from during labor when I want, and or if I choose a water birth.)

2. Since you can feel your body's reflexes in natural childbirth, mothers can push better and generally faster. In fact studies show that getting an epidural prolongs your pushing time.

3. The pain during labor serves a purpose by guiding the mother to seek certain positions. For example, if her back hurts, she will naturally seek positions off her back which can help to turn her baby. Having back pain is one sign that the baby might be posterior and needs to rotate.

4. Mothers often describe that their recovery after a natural childbirth was faster and easier since they could get right up and walk and shower. Usually they eat right away and their appetite is normal.

5. Endorphins secreted during a natural childbirth have been found in the placenta and umbilical cord. This may serve a purpose to help the baby adjust to life outside as well as make the journey more comfortable for baby.

6. Research has shown that in mothers who have natural childbirth, babies are more alert and show more interest in pre-breastfeeding behaviours such as sucking and massaging the mother's breasts, as well as the actual length of time they spend nursing within the first 90 minutes.


No there is not a wrong way and a right way to birth a baby. Nor am I completely opposed to a an epidural, nor do I feel that it will make me less of a woman, or a wimp if I ask for it.

I have felt this way far before Jamie and I made the decision to get pregnant. We ourselves, and my Dr, are all on board and very excited for our birth plan!!

7 comments:

Becktacular Duo! said...

I'm glad you're having such a wonderful time. I hear you on that! I had heard so many horror stories that I was scared for pregnancy, and it's turned out wonderfully.

Always remember- it's YOUR experience. I love hearing other's opinions, thoughts, and advice, but for me it started to get overwhelming. I had to realize that it was our (Stephen and mine's) child sent just to us! And so remember to do what you think and feel. Sounds like you're on the right track.

And I'm so glad you're excited to feel the baby move! That's been one of my all time favorite things! :)

boandheidi said...

Sounds like you have some great plans for birth. I think it is wonderful you know so much and have made such an educated decision. It is truly amazing to have a baby without any meds - what an experience. Good luck in all your research. Oh - and I love the thought of a birthing room - are you delivering at a hospital or in a birthing center? I have heard great things about birthing centers.

Karlee Brady said...

Julie~
I don't know that we know eachother, but we know a lot of the same people:)

When I was pregnant with our little Sailor, it seemed that everyone insisted on telling me their horror stories about labor n delivery and then parenthood in general....I got so annoyed and to tell you the truth I was terrified! My delivery was so unlike anything I was expecting. It was the most humbling, amazing thing that has ever happened to me. Every day when she looks into my eyes, I tear up because she is so amazing. And I can't believe that john and I produced such an amazing, beautiful being. I'm bragging a bit, because I am so proud to say that she is mine and I am her mother. Her little smile melts my heart more and more every day. You have the most fulfilling event coming in your life, and you will love parenthood. As much as I hate to see Sailor grow up, I too cant wait to take her snowboarding,biking,hiking,camping,fishing, etc. Don't listen to anything but your heart. :)

And I think its wonderful you are going to try the natural route...just keep an open mind..

<3Karlee

Unknown said...

Griffin was born this day at 10:06 pm and I had everything under control until we went to the hospital. I had heard all the stories you'be probably heard. But one thing was clear to me when I woke up from my own personal night mare, I was alive and Jacob told me our son was alive. That is the best feeling I have ever experienced. Life is miraculous no matter how its done. I just want you to know that being a parent to me is the most rewarding, challenging, scary thing a person can experience and so worth it. Congratulations and good luck! PS. I loved my belly, you'll miss it when its gone. I did. Love you sweetie.

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

Yes the human body is amazing and we are meant to have children. If the pit-drip is involved than a natural chid birth usually does not happen even if the patient wants it because it just makes labor unbarable!! I hope you do not have to have it because I did with both of mine!! You are good to keep your options open. I always reasearch all my docs because most doctors think of Child birth as a surgery or procedure and its totally not!!! I have heard horror stories on both side natural and drugs...you know your body so just go with what feels right. I hope I can go natural next time and my Chiropractor can induce me naturally!

Your life will change a lot but it will all be worth it. God makes us sacrifice for our Children so much because if we did not then I don't think we would feel as deep of love as we do for them. Also Christ sacrificed everything for us and I so in a way I feel how he felt and it makes me so much closer to God being a mother...if that makes any sense at all?? LOL!
I am happy and excited for you and secretly I hope you have a girl because there are so many "sausages" in the Castillon family!!! LOL

Ker

A Country Girl and A Southern Boy said...

Hey Julie,
I know how you feel I got tons and tons of negative comments about how crazy I was to want to have a natural child birth with out an epidural. That it was stupid and if it wasnt safe for the baby they wouldn't let you. My own in-laws tried and tried to convince me that it was necessary for me to get one. They said with all the medical technology these days its stupid not to take advantage of it. Well you have to remember just like you said its your decision, and I told everyone its my body that has to go through it so why do you care?
I think its great your avoiding all the horriable experiences that comes with being pregnant. I too had a easy pregnancy and I really think it helps having a possitive attitude and they fact that you planned and have asked for this baby for a long time. I hated hearing about other pregnant women complaining about how bad they wanted to be done and being pregnant. Cause I looked at being pregnant as a blessing and I was grateful that God choose me to carry one of his children. So I know that helped me a lot. I wont lie though when it gets toward the end you do want to be done. You just want to be able to play and hold the baby. It's so close and you know it can happen anyday so your just ready for it to be here.
As far as being a parent it is the greatest feeling in the world. To know that this little baby is your respinsibilty to teach it of Christ and show it love and kindness. I'll be honest again though it is totally different than I ever imagined and I was like you had plenty of experience taking care of babies and children, but to know this one is yours. There is no greater feeling! Keep it up girl! your doing great! Did you find another place to have the baby Or are you still going to Evanston?

Unknown said...

I love being pregnant too! You sound so positive! I am excited to find out if you are having a baby Jamie or a baby Julie :)
Keep up the good work chica!